You are not alone!
The safety, health and well-being of our Parkinson community across Canada are of utmost importance to Parkinson Canada and we continue to monitor developments.
During this global outbreak of COVID-19 (also known as coronavirus), we are implementing proactive ways to help manage the risk and reduce potential spread of this disease to those most vulnerable. We have also developed a RESOURCE PAGE that will be regularly updated.
Parkinson Canada’s priority is the health and safety of the Parkinson’s community. Seniors and people with chronic diseases are at a higher risk of complications from COVID-19. Prevention continues to be the best approach to keeping people safe.
For the remainder of 2020, all Parkinson Canada community gatherings and events, including SuperWalk and support groups, will continue to be provided through virtual platforms only (where available). Alternate virtual arrangements for the upcoming Parkinson Canada SuperWalk have been established. Visit superwalk.ca for more ways to get involved in SuperWalk 2020. Support groups in most of our locations are available via phone/video. Visit programs near you or contact us at email@example.com or 800-565-3000 to find out what’s available in your area.
We will continue to closely monitor COVID-19 information and updates as it is released by the Public Health Agency of Canada and other public health authorities.
Parkinson Canada is committed to the wellbeing of the people we serve.
Here are some actions we recommend for you and others living with Parkinson’s disease:
- Check your medications. Take inventory. Contact your pharmacist to refill prescriptions that are running low. Many pharmacies offer a delivery service. Be sure to request refills ahead of time to ensure sufficient time for delivery.
- Talk to your doctor about the pneumonia vaccine. Seniors (60+) are most at risk to develop COVID-19 symptoms that can lead to the development of pneumonia.
- Review Parkinson Canada’s ACT on Time™ program and resources in the event you need to educate a health care professional about your Parkinson’s needs. If you become hospitalized, refer to the resource about Managing Parkinson’s Disease in Healthcare Settings
- Depression and anxiety are normal symptoms for people with Parkinson’s. Read our information sheet about Coping with Depression and Anxiety
- If you are a care partner, read our Care Partnering book online
- Keep your Health Card handy. Keep it with you at all times.
- Questions about Parkinson’s disease? Call our Information and Referral line at 1 800 565 3000.
To protect yourself from COVID-19, the Government of Canada recommends you take the following precautions:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use alcohol-based sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm; dispose of any used tissues in a lined wastebasket and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
- Avoid large crowds of people
Please note that Parkinson Canada takes guidance on health matters from our federal, provincial and local health authorities, including our partners at local Public Health (such as Toronto Public Health, Ottawa Public Health, etc.), as well as the World Health Organization. We encourage you to follow the facts and refer to official sources for the latest updates on Novel Coronavirus – COVID-19.
|April 14 2020||PD101 - Mill Creek LTC Care Centre||Barrie, ON||Cancelled|
|April 15, 2020||Pointe-Claire Seniors’ Spring Luncheon||Pointe-Claire, QC||Cancelled|
|April 17, 2020||Regina Education Event & Carepartner Event||Regina, SK||Cancelled|
|April 18, 2020||Thrive Wellness Expo,||Winnipeg, MB||Rescheduled to October 3|
|April 20, 2020||PD101 at NRS||Greenfield Park, QC||Postponed|
|April 21, 2020||Hill Day||Ottawa, ON||Cancelled|
|May 2, 2020||Passion for Parkinson's - SuperWalk Fundraising Gala||Mississauga, ON||Rescheduled to April 24, 2021|
|May 8, 2020||Care Partner Summit - Novotel Hotel Toronto||Toronto, ON||Cancelled|
|May 6, 2020||Living your best life with PD Education event||North Bay, ON||Postponed|
|May 25, 2020||SJ PD Gala Dinner||Rothsay, NB||Cancelled|
|July 10-12||Pedaling for Parkinson's in PEC||Milford, ON||Rescheduled to August 28-30|