Thank you to everyone who applied to join the Parkinson Advisory Council. Applications closed on January 25, 2021. New opportunities to join the Council will be posted when available.
- This is a volunteer position with a time commitment of approximately 6 hours per month.
- Resumes are encouraged, but not required.
- Apply by Jan. 25, 2021
Parkinson Canada is the definitive voice for the Parkinson community in Canada. Our purpose is to transform the lives of people living with Parkinson’s. We do this through research leading to better treatments and to the end of Parkinson’s, advocacy bringing the voices of people living with Parkinson’s to the forefront, and support that helps people live well with Parkinson’s through education and services.
In this new and innovative position, the Parkinson Advisory Council (PAC) Member will play a critical role in shaping the strategy and programs that address the unmet needs of patients and families affected by Parkinson’s. An “expert by experience”, the PAC Member drives patient engagement across Parkinson Canada and provides insight and advice to key decision makers.
As a Member of the Parkinson Advisory Council, you bring your passion to make a difference for people affected by Parkinson’s. Your empathetic and compassionate approach to building community elevates the diverse perspectives of people affected by Parkinson’s. As someone living with Parkinson’s disease, or with experience as a care partner or family member, you bring your expertise to the following responsibilities:
- Advise and make recommendations to the CEO on key programs and strategic decisions that address the unmet needs of patients and families impacted by Parkinson’s
- Inform the Parkinson Canada patient engagement strategy
- Promote inclusion of the perspectives of people affected by Parkinson’s disease across Parkinson Canada
- Champion the vision, mission, and initiatives of Parkinson Canada with the Parkinson community across Canada
- Engage with other Parkinson Canada volunteer committees
What is needed to succeed in this role
- Lived experience with Parkinson’s disease, or experience as a care partner or family member of someone with Parkinson’s disease
- Knowledge of Parkinson Canada’s resources, preferably through accessing them within the past two years
- Broad knowledge, networks, or connections within the Parkinson community
- Passionate and eager to make a difference
- Strong communication skills, including active listening
- Able to grow strong partnerships that grow the brand and mission of Parkinson Canada
- Dependable, responsive, and respectful of multiple points of view
- Experience with or interest in the Canadian political system, advocacy initiatives, or research and development, would be a strong asset
- Mentorship experience would be an asset
- Experience working with committees or advisory councils would also be an asset
Benefits for Parkinson Advisory Council members
- Contribute to meaningful and lasting change for people affected by Parkinson’s
- Deepen knowledge of patient engagement, research, advocacy, communication, digital engagement, and facilitation
- Develop new relationships with others living with or affected by Parkinson’s disease
- Engage regularly with Parkinson Canada’s President and CEO to provide advice and feedback
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Parkinson Canada volunteer activities have moved online. All activities will be carried out virtually.
Parkinson Canada is committed to inclusion, fairness, respect, human dignity, and equity. Applications from persons with disabilities are welcomed and encouraged. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For questions or accommodation requests, please contact the Volunteer Engagement Manager, Graham Marshall-Coultas at 1-800-565-3000, ext. 3319 or firstname.lastname@example.org.