Your future gift could be the key to unlocking the mysteries of Parkinson’s disease. Your Will ensures that your family and loved ones are provided for in the future in the way that you want. After providing for them, a gift through your Will allows you to help others. Gifts made through your Will are an important source of support for Parkinson Canada and they enable you to make a significant gift that you might not have been able to make during your lifetime. A planned gift is a way to support people with Parkinson’s while helping you achieve the peace of mind that comes with completing your Will and leave a lasting legacy.
Ways to Give:
1) Bequests – a charitable gift in your Will
A bequest is a gift in your Will that can be changed or modified at any time. You can choose to designate that your bequest be used for general use, or perhaps for a specific purpose thereby providing you with the peace of mind knowing that your gift will be used as intended. Bequests are also a meaningful way to reduce estate taxes while supporting Parkinson Canada.
There are a number of ways you can make a bequest to Parkinson Canada
- Specific Bequest: A specific bequest involves making a gift of a specific dollar amount from your estate.
- Percentage Bequest: This is another type of specific bequest which involves leaving a percentage of your total estate to a charity.
- Residual Bequest: This form of a bequest is made from the remainder of your estate after all your other provisions have been made. Most common forms of a residual bequest involve leaving a percentage of the residue of your estate to a charity.
- Contingent Bequest: You could choose to leave specific property, such as a vacation home for example, to a relative or friend, but the bequest language could provide that if this relative is not alive at the time of your death, then the vacation home will go to the charity of your choice.
2) Gift of Life Insurance
Through your life insurance you can leave a larger gift than is possible for most people during their lifetime. When you name Parkinson Canada as a beneficiary and/or owner of your life insurance policy, you could benefit from tax savings in your lifetime or tax savings for your estate.
3) Registered Assets – RRSP’s and RRIF’s
Once your needs and those of your loved ones have been met, you can help Parkinson Canada by donating Registered Assets such as a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) or a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF). There are significant tax savings for your estate when giving your Registered Assets.
4) Charitable Gift Annuity
A Charitable Gift Annuity allows you to support Parkinson Canada and in return you receive guaranteed income for life.
5) Charitable Remainder Trust
You have an asset – perhaps stocks, bonds, securities, mutual funds or real estate – that you want to eventually donate to Parkinson Canada but you need the income it currently provides, or you may not wish to part with your asset at this time. A Charitable Remainder Trust is a way of giving by establishing a trust agreement between yourself and Parkinson Canada.
- Download a copy of My Personal Organizer – our free Will-planning booklet
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive the Parkinson Canada Legacy newsletter (twice per year)
- Email email@example.com to be sent information about including a gift in your Will and other types of gifts to support Parkinson Canada
If you are thinking about making a planned gift to Parkinson Canada, it is recommended that you seek independent professional advice from your lawyer or financial advisor.
When preparing your will, please note that our legal name is:
Parkinson Canada Inc.
316-4211 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2P 2A9
Charitable Registration No: 10809 1786 RR0001
As a legacy donor, you are part of a special group of supporters to Parkinson Canada. If you have already created a legacy gift in your Will, and you wish to let us know about your gift, please take a moment to fill out our Statement of Intent form. All information you provide will remain strictly confidential.
If you have any questions about your planned giving options, please contact Lee Nichols at 1-800-565-3000, ext. 3378 or firstname.lastname@example.org.